Thursday 12 July 2018

Hydras and a Large Construct for Frostgrave

These are the latest additions to my Frostgrave collection and will make for some interesting encounters for my war band.
I have here two hydras, one being a green hydra for Ghost Archipelago and the other being a blue/grey frost hydra for the standard Frostgrave game. What you might not be able to see on my pictures below is that the scales on both of my hydras have been dry brushed with a metallic paint (metallic crystal green for the green hydra and a gunmetal for the frost hydra). I did this because I wanted to make the scales stand out from the standard colours I painted on the bodies of the hydras because in my opinion dragon scales should have a glint to them and look like they could deflect a sword or arrow, a lot like armour. The underbellies of the hydras were also painted a different colour from the main body as well, again I always think that it looks good. As for the large construct I painted it black and then went over it totally with a metallic copper colour, then I dry brushed over it with a russet colour to give it a worn and old look almost like some of the sheen has been lost and then finally I mixed myself up a blue/green colour and dabbed it on here and there to show oxidation. My thoughts behind this way of painting it are that the construct was made before the frozen city and therefore it wouldn't look shiny and new and would be showing oxidation where the construct has been hit and the water and weather have been able to affect it. Now on to the basing for these figures. for the green hydra I placed two relatively flat and small pieces of slate on the base and base textured around them so the stones look like they are sunk into the ground. I then added a lot of scatter material and a few different types of bushes to give the base an overgrown feel to it as if it were in a jungle, this was the way I wanted my Ghost Archipelago to feel overgrown on some bases like the centres of the islands and on others sandy like the shorelines. The other two were based the same in many respects grey groundwork, lots of jagged-looking slate (particularly on the Hydra base) after that I added powdered snow before applying some of my snow mixture to make it look like heavier snowfall in places. Anyway, the pics are below enjoy.

Like what you see? contact me about painting your figures: http://danteswargaming.blogspot.com/p/contact-me.html












No comments:

Post a Comment